Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Snow Day Two = Disaster

Day two of our snow vacation started off great.  We slept in, ate a big breakfast and went sledding near the Dobson Cemetery with the Mohon crew.   The boys had a blast sledding in the open field, I carried out my job as the "Sled Lift" and the boys played until they were cold and tired. 


To break up the day, we all went to Applebees to enjoy lunch together.  Afterwards, the big kids wanted to sled down a bigger hill here in town.  We went with full intentions of sledding with the boys if they chose to go down the hill, but things quickly changed.  

Once Sam and Matt were at the top of the hill, Sam decided he wanted to be a big boy like the rest of the kids.  He wanted to sled down alone and threw a fit until against better judgement, he got his way.  He doesn't have a lot of sledding experience and only weighs 36 pounds so it didn't take long for the sled to go in the wrong direction.  When I looked up, he was flying down the hill, nobody could get to him fast enough and he didn't put his hands or feet down.  Instead, he closed his eyes and crashed into a brick retaining wall.  I panicked a little, but held it together on the outside because I knew I had to stay calm for Sam. 

Needless to say, we went straight to the ER for a CT scan and left with 8 stitches.   I hate he got hurt, but I also know I can't let my kids live in a bubble.  As much as I don't want them to get hurt, I know it is going to be part of growing up with 2 boys.  

At home, I was able to rock him and he told me in the sweetest voice that he thought he would just listen to Daddy next time.  It was a great time to remind him we have rules and make him do things for a reason!  I didn't want him to be hurt, but I am glad it was a lesson learned and wasn't any worse than it was. 


No comments: