Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sam, read to me!

How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors? -- 2006 publication
Every night, we follow the same bedtime routine with Sam.  Not only does it help Sam know when bedtime is, his bedtime routine is my favorite time of night! 

Step 1:  Put on his pajamas
Step 2:  Watch "How to Dinosaurs Say Goodnight" and drink milk.
Step 3:  Kiss and Hug Mom and Dad
Step 4:  Blow Ben a kiss as we walk past his bedroom
Step 5:  Lay in bed and read books
Step 6:  Cover up with his favorite blue blanket. 
Step 7:  Cover up his friends, Sock Monkey, Barney, Cat and the Hat, and Frog

Step 8:  Turn on his sound machine and his Moon
Step 9:  A hug and kiss
Step 10:  Walking out and Sam putting himself to sleep 

Tonight after I read several dinosaur books to Sam, he asked if he could read to me.  "Mommom...I read to you" was the sweetest words I have ever heard!   He told me exactly where to lay and he snuggled up next to me with a book in his hand.  He started with the first page studying to cover and finally said, "Dinosaurs help clean." He then said, "next page" and read the first page.  He did this with every page and would carefully study the pages and pictures before he made up his version of the book!  When he got to the end of the book, he shut it and said, "The End."   I was in shock!  I couldn't believe my two-year old was reading to me and was loving books as much as I have ever dreamed he would!!  I quickly got Matt and Sam read us another book!  I think it melted his Daddy's heart and Matt was proud to see the love of books Sam is already getting at such an early age!  Maybe one day soon I can catch Sam "reading" on video and post it for you to see!!  He is such a sweatheart!

1 comment:

Flossie said...

So cute! I confess I don't read to my Sam very much. He loves books...he thinks they're delicious. It seems like every time I try to read him a story he just ends up screaming because I won't let him chew on the book. But I want him to love books as much as I do. Maybe after we get a few more teeth in we'll have more success.