Saturday, May 30, 2015

Kindergarten

I know everybody says time flies, but now that I am a parent, I fully understand and agree with this statement.  It seems like yesterday was August 6th and Sam was starting his first day of Kindergarten!

Sam had a wonderful year and I give the most credit to his teacher.  She is the most amazing kindergarten teacher ever because she truly cared about her kids and she made her lessons fun!  For the most part, Sam did not want to miss school.  Now don't get me wrong, Sam was never a morning person and was definitely grumpy every morning, but once he was awake, he was ready for school!  I am so thankful Matt gets to wake the morning monster and get him in a good mood before I see him!! 


Sam exceeded our expectations in every aspect of school.  According to the STAR reading test, he ended the year on a 2.3  reading level.  He has started reading his first chapter books, the Magic Tree House series.  At night, I read a page and then he takes a turn.  Since this is the first time he isn't reading picture books, I want to make sure he is comprehending and staying focused!    I love hearing him read, but what I love most about our routine is the chance to snuggle and have some quiet time with him!  

Although he does great in reading, his favorite subject is math.  He ended the year on a 3.0 math level, which is just simply amazing.  What I love most is his desire to learn more and more math!  When we drive down the road he will ask us to challenge him.  This of course means a math problem and if we give him one he thinks is too easy, it makes him mad!  Sam can fluently add and subtract, but now he is solving for x and is multiplying.  So far, he can multiply by 0's, 1's, 2's, 3's, 5's, and 9's.  He can solve other numbers, but it takes him a tad longer to give the answer.  I am very proud of him and tell him all the time multiplying is for 3rd graders!  I guess he took his love for numbers after his Uncle John and Gram!  I love math, but I don't think I could ever compute numbers in my head as fast as he can!  

Yes, we are proud of his educational progress, but what I think is simply amazing is how much his personality has blossomed!  We love you to the moon and back Sam and we will always be proud!

First day of School 2014-2015



Last Day of School 2014-2015

No comments: