Saturday, September 13, 2014

A boys dream

The boys have asked for some time to go fishing, so we finally had a weekend where we were able to make that happen.   Granddaddy took Sam and Ben to Walmart to get their first cane pole and we of course couldn't leave the store without worms.  Sam wanted to buy a can of worms, but Ben wanted to go out in the dark and dig a hole for them.  That is one of the biggest differences in my boys....one loves to get dirty and they other one stays clean as a whistle and has a fit if he gets the least bit dirty!  

Saturday morning came early because they were in our room as soon as the sun came up and were ready to go!  We fished at a pond behind Gran Gran's house.  Matt fished there as a kid and didn't know there were even fish still in the pond.  Both boys caught fish after fish after fish.  MeMom and Granddaddy both came down to join in on the fun.  I caught a few fish, but sat back letting the boys have all the excitement. 

Sitting on the pond bank brought back so many childhood memories for me.  We had a pond on Dad's farm and every few years he would stocked it with catfish.  My favorite thing to do when I was a child was wait for my dad to get home from work and we would ride on the tractor with a bail of hay or just in his truck to the other farm.  I went with him everyday and during that time thought I was the most important person in the world!  We would feed the cows and I knew I was the best gate opener and closer around!  After we fed the cows, he would take me to the pond and hit the bottom of the can 3 times.  He would then throw the food into the pond and we would sit and watch the fish eat for a few minutes.  Looking back, I know how hard my dad worked.  Whew, after working all day as a lineman he came home and took care of the farm.  I now realize he didn't have to walk to the pond with me every afternoon to feed the fish.  I am sure if it were up to him he wouldn't have messed with the fish, but he took the time everyday to spend time with me and make me happy!   I hope Matt and I can always remember to do all we can everyday to make sure Sam and Ben know they are the most important people in our lives.  My dad is my hero and always will be.

It wasn't my favorite thing to do, but I can assure you we will go fishing again soon!   








No comments: