Thursday, June 9, 2011

First Trip to the Zoo

Today started bright and early at 5:30 am.  We woke up and took the kids to the Memphis Zoo.  The trip was extra special because the Merrick family joined us.  We arrived at the zoo around 10 am and stayed until 4 pm.  The weather was hot (98 degrees) but the kids were all well-behaved!  We found shade as much as possible and coated all five kids with sun-screen throughout the day.  Yes, I said it correctly...five kids all under the age of four! 

Sam loved all of the animals.  He would watch one animal and was always excited to see what was next!  We took the video camera, but caught a few pictures to post on here.  Watching Sam's excitement was priceless! 


We didn't think Ben would appreciate the animals, but he was excited to see all the animals!  He loved the monkeys and seals the most and didn't really know what to think about the elephants!  I think the size of them scared him a bit! 





Matt and I were both surprised that we made it 6 hours in the heat without a single whimper from either boy.  They had smiles the whole day and were troopers the whole trip.  We thought Sam was going to be sad when we left, but he was ready for cool air!  While we packed the car, he fell asleep!  We were both excited and thought both boys would sleep the entire way home, but we were wrong.  Ben didn't go to sleep after I fed him his bottle and after 10 minutes, Sam woke up also.  They were both so tired, they didn't know what to do.  Sam sang every song he knew and made up a few.  Ben laughed and smiled at his brother's entertainment! 

Another trip to the zoo is not out of the question for the 2011 Summer.  We had a wonderful time!  It was nice to have another family join our fun and with them having three kids, they moved at our speed and totally understood our philosophy....as long as the kids are happy.....we are happy!

1 comment:

Flossie said...

What a fun day! I can't wait to take our Sam to the zoo. I think I want to this summer...not sure if it is too soon or not, but he LOVES animals so I'm excited to see his reaction.